Chief Finance Officer
COMPANY OR ORGANIZATION
Interior Regional Housing Authority
100,000. - 130,000.
The position is "open until filled"
Responsible for oversight and day-to-day operations of the IRHA’s Finance Department in compliance with established laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Direct and oversee the financial activities, audits, direct the preparation of current financial reports and summaries.
- Oversee the activities of the finance department, supervise staff and provide technical assistance and mentoring.
- Assist the CEO in planning and achieving the strategic vision and goals of the organization.
- Provide accurate, timely, relevant and transparent reporting to the Board of Commissioners on financial activities.
- Assist CEO and management with reporting to outside entities of IRHA business activities as requested.
- Manage all aspects of annual audit.
- Review financial statements and reports to ensure IRHA’s financial requirements and objectives are achieved as well as conduct analyses of budgets and costs.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to executive leadership regarding IRHA finances; Assist in analyzing operations to evaluate performance of the organization and staff to determine areas of cost efficiency.
- Monitor budgeting processes and provide advice and counsel CEO to determine continual improvement of budgetary issues. Work closely and extensively with IRHA department management and staff regarding the preparation and tracking of annual operating budgets and project budgets.
- Advise on and help negotiate contracts into which IRHA may enter. Counsel the CEO on financial matters associated with the financial viability of entering into such contracts.
- Design, prepare or direct preparation of reports that summarize and forecast IRHA business activity and financial position (cost and revenue projections).
- Prepare and monitor chart of accounts activities and reconcile general ledger in conjunction with the Controller as needed.
- Review, track and report on job/project operating budgets through the monitoring activities conducted by the project managers/job foremen.
- Monitor and analyze cost and control expenditures in accordance with budget allocations to ensure operating expenses of the organization remain within fiscal constraints of the budget and bring any issues or concerns to the attention of the CEO for resolution.
- Initiate and oversee audits. Work directly with independent auditor and direct follow up actions on any deficiencies revealed and analyze and recommend corrective action.
- Advise and make recommendations on preparation of operating and capital budgets. Tracks capital projects, fixed assets and depreciation of fixed assets.
- Develop, maintain and monitor a system of risk assessments, internal controls, and administrative procedures to guard against waste, fraud and abuse or mismanagement.
- Conduct and/or ensure others prepare quarterly and annual financial reports as required by oversight bodies.
- Responsible for maintaining the IRHA financial records in accordance with established laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Set up, monitor and maintain IRHA bank accounts and make deposits and withdrawals.
- Review, approve and sign travel orders, purchase orders and checks for disbursement [e.g., vendors, contractors, employees, etc.].
- Utilize the eLOCCS system to drawn down grant monies to be disbursed to various IRHA activities and ensure they are accounted for and tracked in accordance with established rules and regulations.
- Prepare and provide reports to the BOC, Doyon and other primary funders on the financial status of IRHA.
- Oversee loan rate negations with financial institutions and follow through of all aspects of required documents.
- Provide oversight of insurance coverage to ensure adequate coverage and competitive rate renewals.
- Responsible for educating employees regarding Finance department policy and procedures, especially with regards to how they should request information/reports from finance and what to expect after they request information.
- Serve as the liaison between IRHA and the computer/technology (outsourced) contractor as well as the main point of contact with IT.
- Assist in managing the organization’s ongoing relationships with national, state and local governmental agencies, officials and organizations, as needed.
- Contribute to developing policies and systems that will improve the overall operations and effectiveness of the organization.
- Serve as backup in the absence of management.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance.
- Six years’ experience serving in a key financial management role.
- Accounting experience may be used to offset the education requirement.
- Five years prior supervisory experience in a similar capacity.
- CPA and/or Masters degree in Business Administration and six years related experience or equivalent combination of education, training and experience holding a Finance Officer or similar role, preferably in a governmental organization or Tribally Designated Housing Entity.
CONTACT AND OTHER INFORMATION
HR Officer: Vanessa Cruger