|Finance Director - City of Seward|
|Your company or organization name.|
|City of Seward|
|Closing date for applications|
|The position has a closing date.|
|This is a highly responsible professional position that serves as the Chief Financial Officer of the City and performs complex work involving fiscal planning, internal audit controls, budgetary controls, and cost studies.|
|• Supervises and maintains internal accounting and control activities throughout the City for purposes of obtaining financial information, controlling expenses, and maintaining required records.
• Plans for and implements the installation and development of an effective financial management and reporting system.
• Supervises the timely filing of intergovernmental financial and informational records as prescribed by federal law and Alaska statutes.
• Develops and recommends accounting policies and practices that will ascertain, maintain, and continually improve the City’s financial position.
• Assists in the creation of the annual City budget in accordance with the policy direction of the council.
• Directs the overall financial program to ensure the adequate protection of the City’s properties, funds and securities, and to assure protection from municipal exposure to liability; ensures the City is properly reimbursed when losses arise.
• Assists department heads in the preparation and administration of the annual budget; maintains a system of responsible control to ensure that expenditures do not exceed appropriations, in compliance with applicable Alaska statutes.
• Attends hearings on departmental budgets and other issues to provide data and determine recommended appropriations.
• Performs research and prepares fiscal impact reports and forecasts fiscal trends for recommendations of administrative and fiscal policy.
• Assists other departments in billing and collection functions, including calculation of bills, recording and deposit of receipts, and maintenance of customer accounts and related records.
• Issues approvals for contracts, vouchers, purchase orders and other financial transactions; confers with supervisors on events and non-routine transactions for the disbursement of funds.
• Examines and audits vouchers and invoices for accuracy and proper authorization and approves for payment.
• Assists in the coordination of the accounting function with all other areas of City government to include purchasing and asset review.
• Confers with and advises City officials, department directors and others in proper procedure regarding financial matters of the City (e.g., preparation of operating budgets).
• Checks and audits ledger accounts for accuracy, procedural and systems compliance; assists in the preparation of financial statements, summaries, and reports.
• Trains and develops department personnel; determines and prescribes work methods, procedures, and policies; assigns, supervises, and reviews the work of department employees.
• Conducts year-end audit of all funds as well as federal and state grant audits.
• Supervises the posting of transactions; reconciles bank statements and prepares reports.
• Coordinates debt issuance.
• Oversees the issuance of City checks for payment of liabilities and verifies expenditures.
• Plans, coordinates, and prepares for annual financial audits performed by contractors.
• Assists City Manager with Capital Improvement Plan, including collection of data and presentation.
• Prepares and presents quarterly financial statements to the city council.
• Follows safe work practices.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
|Graduation from and accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance or a closely related field, and at least 7 years of experience in governmental finance and accounting, including several years of supervisory experience.|
|Contact and Other Information|
PO Box 842
Seward, Alaska 99664