COMPANY OR ORGANIZATION
City and Borough of Sitka
$87,422.40 - $103,979.20
Under the direction of the Finance Director, the Controller leads a team to ensure the accurate accounting of all financial activity of the municipality. As Sitka is situated on an island, the finance department faces unique challenges and complexities.
• Proven comprehensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) procedures, and Government Accounting and Auditing Financial Reporting (GAAFR) standards.
• Demonstrated ability of successfully managing all aspects of an external CPA audit of the financial systems, internal controls, and financial statements of a complex entity.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully implement and manage a consistent, periodic financial accounting and reporting cycle on both a soft-close and hard-close basis for a multi-departmental entity.
• Demonstrated skill and ability in implementing, managing, and utilizing Enterprise Resource
• Planning (ERP) software systems with an emphasis on electronic business interfaces with stakeholders through internet portals.
• Demonstrated skill and ability in advanced data extraction and manipulation techniques using spreadsheet software and pivot table applications.
• Ability to communicate well with others to secure cooperation and efficient coordination in preparation of financial records and reports.
• Ability to interpret complex fiscal reports and records, analyze financial data and determine appropriate accounting methods for control and reporting purposes.
• Integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
• Ability to use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions.
• Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
• Ability and to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and technology.
• Candidate must be able to positively enforce the skills and production of staff; be a positive motivator.
• The ideal candidate should allow for independence of staff, yet be able to observe and correct with respect.
• The ideal candidate leads by example and has strong interpersonal skills and is able to maintain the loyalty of dedicated staff.
• The Controller must have strong technical skills, especially with Microsoft Excel. Candidates may possess any combination of relevant education and experience that demonstrates their ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Finance, Accounting, or related field is required.
• A Master's Degree in Accountancy or a related field is preferred.
• Certification as a Certified Public Accountant, Certified Management Accountant in the State of Alaska, or Certified Public Accountant candidate is preferred.
• Example of desired experience is five years total experience as an accountant in a relevant setting, with two years supervisory experience
CONTACT AND OTHER INFORMATION
The City and Borough of Sitka is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Position open until filled. To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and completed application to:
City and Borough of Sitka
100 Lincoln Street
Sitka Alaska 99835