Director of Finance
COMPANY OR ORGANIZATION
City of Unalaska
$93,073 - $148,913 / Year
The position is "open until filled"
This executive-level position works under the broad policy guidance of City Council and the supervision of the City Manager. The position acts as the Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer of the City. The Director is also “hands-on” and an individual contributor to the Finance Department’s team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough understanding and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as it relates to governmental accounting, including knowledge and application of standards issued by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Ability to draft the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and submit to Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) annually.
- Ability to effectively coordinate the annual audit, including interacting with the City’s external auditors.
- Ability to manage the City’s budget process and prepare the Budget Document, as well as develop and prepare financial studies and plans.
- Have well developed supervisory, interpersonal, and team-building skills.
- Organizational skills to manage workloads and assignments to achieve departmental goals.
- Ability to deliver sound and professional financial advice regarding short and long terms goals to fellow Directors, the City Manager, Council, and the Mayor.
- Have strong presentation skills and the ability to convey complex financial information in understandable terms.
- Effective and efficient communication (oral and written) skills with employees, consultants, other governmental agencies, City officials, and the general public.
- Considerable knowledge and experience with establishing, implementing, managing, and revising effective internal controls.
- Considerable knowledge of ERP systems including integrated financial management information systems, public finance and fiscal planning, and of payroll, accounts payable, and accounts receivable functions.
- Experienced in financial management of municipal water, wastewater, and electric utilities, as well as solid waste services.
- Skilled in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Skilled in data collection and analysis, and mathematical and statistical computations.
- Ability to analyze proprietary operations in terms of future financial viability and to formulate recommendations for adjustments and improvements in operations.
- Demonstrated experience in leading with an open style, viewing stakeholders as partners, and dealing with all in a professional, fair, straightforward, and responsive manner.
- Naturally collaborative with a desire and ability to work effectively with all stakeholders, and who thrives in a place where there is real opportunity to make things happen.
- Demonstrated experience as calm and disciplined leader with the ability to distill information into clear direction and policy, and a critical thinker who brings a strategic approach to initiatives and programs.
- Willingness to be visible and involved in the community.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field required; graduate degree such as finance, business or public administration preferred.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in a governmental setting, including three (3) years in financial management or related field required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience required, preferably with at least three (3) years in executive management.
LICENSES & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Licensed CPA is preferred, must be bondable.
- Must have, or be able to obtain, an Alaska Driver’s License within 90 days of hire.
- Ability to pass all required pre-employment testing i.e. Criminal background and History, drug testing.
- Must be eligible to work in the US; requirements by Federal Law if hired must complete employment eligibility verification form (I-9).
- Combinations of education and experience providing knowledge, skill and abilities will be evaluated on an individual basis.
CONTACT AND OTHER INFORMATION
You must submit a City of Unalaska Application, Resume, and Cover Letter; and three (3) Letters of Reference. The application and other necessary forms are available at Unalaska City Hall, Department of Administration, 43 Raven Way, Unalaska; or by downloading at https://www.ci.unalaska.ak.us/hr/page/employment-application-forms. Return completed application to City of Unalaska, Administration Department, P.O. Box 610, Unalaska, AK 99685; submit by email to email@example.com; or send by fax to (907) 581-4469. Questions? Telephone (907) 581-1252. Please visit our website for more information.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Unalaska is an Employer of National Service and encourages AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and
other national service alumni to apply