Finance Director-City of Seward
COMPANY OR ORGANIZATION
City of Seward
The position is "open until filled"
This is a highly responsible professional position that serves as the Chief Financial Officer of the City and performs complex work involving fiscal planning, internal audit controls, budgetary controls, and cost studies.
Supervises and maintains internal accounting and control activities throughout the City for purposes of obtaining financial information, controlling expenses, and maintaining required records.
• Plans for and implements the installation and development of an effective financial management and reporting system.
• Supervises the timely filing of intergovernmental financial and informational records as prescribed by federal law and Alaska statutes.
• Develops and recommends accounting policies and practices that will ascertain, maintain, and continually improve the City’s financial position.
• Assists in the creation of the annual City budget in accordance with the policy direction of the council.
• Directs the overall financial program to ensure the adequate protection of the City’s properties, funds and securities, and to assure protection from municipal exposure to liability; ensures the City is properly reimbursed when losses arise.
• Assists department heads in the preparation and administration of the annual budget; maintains a system of responsible control to ensure that expenditures do not exceed appropriations, in compliance with applicable Alaska statutes.
• Attends hearings on departmental budgets and other issues to provide data and determine recommended appropriations.
• Performs research and prepares fiscal impact reports and forecasts fiscal trends for recommendations of administrative and fiscal policy.
• Assists other departments in billing and collection functions, including calculation of bills, recording and deposit of receipts, and maintenance of customer accounts and related records
Graduation from and accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a closely related field, and at least 7 years of experience in governmental finance and accounting, including several years of supervisory experience.
CONTACT AND OTHER INFORMATION
Full job description and application can be found on the City of Seward website.