Job Location - Anchorage, AK
Closing Date for Application
November 15, 2019
Position Summary: Responsible for all bond and trustee accounting, all externally-funded program accounting and reporting, and all general ledger maintenance. This position supervises a departmental section consisting of professional staff.
Reports to: CONTROLLER
The position serves as a liaison between the Corporation’s departments in the development, implementation and tracking of all accounting activity in the Corporation’s financial systems.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED: Exempt, supervisory position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Serves as primary point of contact for other departments on matters involving the financial books of record and all externally funded program and accounting issues.
Prepares financial statements schedules and various footnote information.
Monitors and evaluates the Accounting department’s internal control system on an ongoing basis for adequacy and possible improvement.
Ensures that all accounting requirements relating to externally funded programs, bond indentures and other debt instruments, and general accepted accounting principles are met.
Ensures that all accounting requirements related to bond indentures and other debt instruments are met. Identifies Accounting Department activities which may be enhanced through further automation and initiates appropriate action.
Schedules and coordinates the activities of assigned staff to ensure that:
- Required deadlines are met.
- Quality standards are maintained.
- Appropriate segregation of incompatible duties is achieved.
- Available resources are utilized efficiently and in a cost-effective manner.
Prepares performance reviews, approves leave requests and timesheets for assigned staff.
Recommends to the Controller the hiring of new staff members and trains newly assigned staff members.
Develops personal computer based spreadsheet and data base applications and models.
Participates in the development and implementation of new mainframe computer applications, and in the modification of existing applications.
Primary representative for the Accounting Department in interdepartmental working groups and standing computer user committees.
Reviews & evaluates bond offering circulars to determine if new duties and procedures are necessary to be in compliance with reporting requirements.
Develops, implements and directs the consolidation of bond trust activity from the trustees and preparation and distribution of detail and summary cash & investment schedules.
Develops, implements and directs the consolidation of general ledger balances in accordance with GAAP.
Assembles information necessary for analysis and explanation of questions asked by the Financial Reporting Officer’s or Controller’s review of quarterly financial statements.
Stay current on developing issues in the accounting profession, with particular emphasis on new developments impacting the mortgage banking, and governmental sectors.
Perform complex accounting tasks including account analyses, reconciliation, development of journal entries - i.e. defeasance, refunding or forgiveness of debt, direct financing lease, liquidation of inter-fund balances, and has primary responsibility for ensuring year end general ledger closing procedures are timely and appropriate.
Assists in planning, and performs work in connection with the:
• Annual independent audit
• Legislative audits
Responds to inquiries from various outside parties, including but not limited to independent auditors; legislative auditors; board of directors; bond rating agencies; and other governmental representatives.
Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Generally accepted accounting & reporting principles;
• FASB and GASB statements;
• Personal computer based software spreadsheet and data base applications i.e. Excel, Access.
•Other financial software as used by the Corporation.
• Mortgage banking and servicing practices and procedures.
• Principles and practices of personnel management and supervision
Skills and Abilities:
• Personnel management
• Various computer software programs to include Excel or other spreadsheet programs, Access or other database programs and Word or equivalent word processing software.
• Developing, implementing and maintaining accounting methods and procedures involving new areas that have to be accounted for.
• Preparing complex accounting entries;
• Reviewing and analyzing complex accounts;
• Investigating and analyzing unusual transactions or variances;
• Developing, implementing and maintaining mainframe computer based accounting applications.
• Apply generally accepted accounting principles in a diverse and dynamic business environment
• Learn and maintain compliance with complex and technical accounting and reporting requirements
• Gather, analyze and interpret financial data.
• Exercise professional judgement and function independently.
• Make sound recommendations and take prompt effective action.
• Provide effective supervision and coordination of assigned staff.
• Multi-task regular duties and special projects of staff as needed, subject to strict deadlines.
• Develop, initiate and maintain computerized accounting applications.
• Identify opportunities for additional or enhanced computerized accounting applications, make recommendations to the Controller.
• Use tact and diplomacy in dealing with difficult situations.
• Communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing.
• Analyze and evaluate current accounting practices and procedures within the department.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with a degree in Accounting or closely related field, and four years accounting or auditing experience, at an advanced technical & professional level.
Knowledge and experience with personal computer software and Excel spreadsheet applications is required.
An advanced degree and/or CPA certificate is preferred but not required.
Contact and other Information
All external applicants tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to urinalysis and breath alcohol testing to screen for illegal drug/alcohol use.
A complete job description and online the website at https://www.ahfc.us/about-us/jobs/all-job-seekers/. A new AHFC application must be submitted for each position (a resume may be attached).
APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5:00 P.M., NOVEMBER 15, 2019
AHFC provides employment opportunities to low and very-low income persons, in compliance with Section 3 of the HUD Act of 1968. Public Housing Residents are encouraged to apply.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER .