GENERAL INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS:
The Alaska Government Finance Officers Association offers scholarships to upper class college students who are preparing for a career in public finance. Applications are available January 1st of each year, with an application due date by May 1. Scholarship recipients are notified generally by June 30. The scholarships available for full-time undergraduate students include the $1,000 Vern Johnson Scholarship and the $1,000 Norm Levesque Scholarship. The $1,000 Carl Hille Scholarship is open to full-time and part-time undergraduate or graduate students. Selected applicants will be invited to attend a one-day session at the AGFOA annual conference in mid-November.
Applications will be accepted from those applicants who comply with the following:
- Must be a citizen of the United States;
- Must meet Alaska residency as defined by AS 01.10.055;
- Must have junior or senior level standing during the year in which the scholarship will be received,
- Must provide evidence of grade point average of 3.0 or higher; and
- Must have declared pursuit of a Business degree in the area of accounting, finance, or related field (i.e., financial management, risk management, auditing, banking, public administration, public policy, mathematics, economics and political science).
Applications will be accepted in the spring for the following fall semester. In addition to the application form, the applicant must submit:
- A current college transcript;
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, employer, or mentor; and
- A one-to-two page essay (1.5 spaced, font size 12) describing;
a. What areas of public sector and finance most interests the applicant and why, and
b. Why the applicant has chosen a specific teacher, employer, or mentor to provide a recommendation.
CURRENT COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE:
Scholarship applications for 2022-2023 school year are now open for submission. Applications are due no later than midnight on May 1. Late applications will not be accepted. Scholarship recipients will be notified by June 30. Please apply online below. The scholarships available include:
$1,000 Vern Johnson Scholarship (junior or senior level, full-time undergraduate students)
$1,000 Norm Levesque Scholarship (junior or senior level, full-time undergraduate students)
$1,000 Carl Hille Scholarship (junior or senior level, part-time and full-time undergraduate and graduate students)