COMPANY OR ORGANIZATION
City of Wasilla
$116,672 - $133,336 Annually
The position is "open until filled"
We are looking or an applicant with at least 10 years of responsible accounting experience and who is well-versed in GAFFR, GAAP, and GASB. This position is responsible for the day-to-day functions of the accounting department and performs a variety of supervisory, budgetary and finance functions.
- Conducts month-end balancing and closing of general ledger, revenue, and expense accounts.
- Directs payroll processing and data entry functions.
- Oversees A/P, A/R processing, grant accounting, sales tax collections, utility billing and special assessments.
- Participates in the development, implementation and administration of accounting policies, procedures, internal controls, and establishes goals, objectives, and priorities for area of responsibility.
- Understands and manages use of financial software applications, including interfaces from third-party vendors; assists in managing software security/roles, the chart of accounts, daily accounting processes, year-end close procedures ensuring reconciliations and substantiation of account balances are completed in a timely manner.
- Performs certain treasury functions such as maintaining cash controls, monitoring cash requirements, and maintaining relationships with banking and investment institutions.
- Coordinates preparation of the ACFR, including scheduling of staff, communicating with City departments, obtaining statistical data, working with external auditors as the primary contact, and preparation of audit work papers and financial statements.
- Assists with the City’s annual budget preparation, administration, and monitoring.
- Prepares and presents reports to management, city council, civic groups and the general public as required.
- Develops finance-related ordinances and resolutions.
- Manages special projects and other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
- Work is performed independently in conformance with State and Federal law, GAAP and City ordinances.
- General supervision provided from the Director of Finance. Work is reviewed for the technical accuracy of accounting procedures and records, and the soundness of financial and budgetary advice.
- Responsible for ensuring department goals and objectives are met.
- Provide advice and counsel to Finance Director.
- Responsible for recommendation and implementation of department policy or procedure to improve productivity.
- Coach, guide, evaluate, train, and motivate department employees to maximize individual and department performance.
- Conduct performance improvement sessions as needed.
- Instruct employees in department methods and techniques.
- Allocate workload to employees, monitor progress and accomplishments.
- Prepare written reports as required.
- Requires extensive knowledge of budgetary, accounting and reporting systems, and GAAFR, GAAP, and GASB.
- Requires working knowledge of modern governmental accounting theory, principles, and practices.
- Must be familiar with public financial and fiscal planning, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, sales tax collections, and utility accounting functions.
- Must be able to prepare and analyze financial reports and maintain effective financial systems and procedures.
- Able to interact and communicate with City officials and the public in a professional and courteous manner.
- Able to exercise independent judgment in the interpretation of Federal, State and City rules and regulations pertaining to required records and lawful use of funds.
- Attend, satisfactorily complete, and have a working knowledge of Incident Command System on-line testing level ICS-100 within 15 days of date of hire; ICS-200, ICS-700, and ICS 800 within 45 days of hire; and ICS-300 and ICS-400 as they become available.
- Must be able to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials, and the general public.
- Must be skilled in operating various office equipment such as PC, Microsoft Office products, a variety of software, calculator, copy machine, postage meter, and fax.
- Must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills; with an interest and ability to modernize and streamline processes.
CONTACT AND OTHER INFORMATION
Yana Sinyawski, Human Resources Specialist